UK companies are facing big cost increases in their employee insurance premiums as the average age of their employees continues to rise. Research from Towers Watson shows that when a company’s average employee age rises by five years its Group Income Protection insurance premium could increase by as much as 50%.
• Indirect taxes harder to collect, so shift creates more opportunity for abuse
• Bloomsbury Professional celebrates its 10th anniversary in October
The Government has made a significant shift in its revenue raising from direct to indirect taxes
• Businesses not dealing with fundamental problems because of cheap debt
• Interest rates rise will see end to ‘phony war’
In a speech to the Cambridge Society for Economic Pluralism. on Tuesday, Jon Cunliffe reviews developments in the UK economy during his first year in office and looks ahead at the judgements and uncertainties faced by the Monetary Policy Committee.
Campaigners have welcomed the outcome of an inquiry into the extractives sector conducted by the Parliamentary Committee on Business, Innovation and Skills, calling on the government to take action on the sector that campaigners have accused of being ‘unethical and often hugely destructive’.
• Survey finds 39% of Brits concerned by money in fossil fuels. That’s more than the daily users of Facebook in the UK 
• 36%, more than 1 in 3, want banks to divest from fossil fuels 
• Move Your Money launches ‘Divest!’ campaign to put climate change banks on notice