Tripe & What Not

Angry 'Doctor Who' fans hate new theme tune

Angry 'Doctor Who' fans hate new theme tune
April 19th, 2010
Author: Richard Henley Davis

The new series of Doctor Who is so good the nation want to collectively stand up straight and salute the television when the opening titles begin, but there is only one problem, the theme tune.

So the fans don't like the new Doctor Who theme tune.

The question is will there be anything done about it? Has too much been invested into this format for there to be any changes this series?

Doctor Who internet forums are flooded by fans who hate the new theme tune venting their spleen to other fans who vent a little spleen back and I am sure there will be some fanatical fan who will upload a video onto you tube of himself with his fingers in his ears as the theme tune plays etc.

So why are fans so protective of the them tune?

Delia Derbyshire in the BBC Radiophonic Workshop

When Doctor who first hit our screens in 1963, the theme tune was just as revolutionary as the program itself and over the years it has regenerated with the Doctor and all of them without exception have been superb renditions of that classic piece composed by Ron Grainer.

The Genius that was Delia Derbyshire who realised the original theme tune in the BBC Radiphonic Workshop would I am sure not be too happy with this new version were she alive today.

Her version of the original theme tune was a feat of engineering pushing forward the boundaries of electronic music and ultimately her influence on modern music cannot be measured.

Delia created each note and recorded it separately and played it back over numerous tape decks long before synthesizers but her version is haunting and otherworldly because it was so far ahead of its time it shouldn't exist in 1963.

Its almost as if the Doctor should go back in time to 1963 and find out what alien technology is being used to create Doctor Who's theme tune.

It is Delia's aptly timeless rendition of Ron Grainer's score which still sounds as fresh today as it did the day it was first played unlike the new remixesque version which sounds amateur.

Just in case you have forgotten the original…

Comment Here!

comments

Get the Latest WEATHER REPORT

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Angry 'Doctor Who' fans hate new theme tune”

1. Gerry Alanguilan says:

I still love the version of the theme from Series 4, the last one with David Tennant. I like the theme to the new Who a bit less only because it's not as exciting and thrilling to listen to. The big problem with the theme when it first aired was that the entry of the classic Who theme was drowned out by lightning and thunder sound effects. They have since removed the sound effects from that spot and actually enhanced the theme a bit to make it stand out more. I still like it less than the one from Series 4, but I like it much better now.

2. RP says:

stop assuming that a few whingers represent all fans.

3. SpiritMuse says:

Another unfortunate incident of the vocal minority shouting so loud that they seem like the only ones there. By far most people like the new tune, including me. No, it's not the same, but that doesn't make it worse. The old one was big and loud and exciting – just like RTD-era Who. The new one is quieter, and much more creepy – like Moffat-era Who looks to become. In a word, it's perfect.

4. Ben Donnelly says:

I will admit I'm not a huge fan of this version. But I prefer it to the one from 2005. The string lines I feel ruin it for me. You don't need extra textural stuff filling every quaver under the melody. There's supposed to be space between the haunting melody and the rhythm underneath. Those string lines sound very cheap to me. This year's version on the otherhand improves on the slightly as it makes the rhythm a more driving force and goes some way to mask the string lines. Reminding me more of the version from the mid-80s, which I really like, as cheesy as it is. But none of that's really relevant. What I want to say is so what? Not everyone's going to like it. No need to kick up a fuss. It doesn't detract from the programme.

5. MSqu says:

As a few others have said: it's too bad that a very vocal minority is drowning out a majority.

Upon first viewing of "The Eleventh Hour" I knew there would be a new composition of the theme, and so I was anticipating a change, but I was still utterly shocked and didn't know what to think when the opening credits rolled.

Admittedly, I did miss the roaring tune of adventure from the RTD days. But now, I don't miss it. I think the new tune is utterly perfect for the new era: the feeling I can't deny is that it hints of monsters and of things in the dark, and that's what I love about Moffat's previous Who episodes and with what he's doing with the storytelling now. I'll say it again: it's utterly perfect for Moff Time.

6. matty says:

i am part of the minority of haters! dont get me wrong, it is ok in the middle where the names come up. it is just the missing of the dum de dum at the opening that is sad. if you look back at series one with hartnall, what do u hear, dum de dum! all the way even to the new s1 with eccleston. even when all changed the theme is relitively the same, then in series 5 they take away what can be described as a huge trademark. and i have been on several sites showing ratings,in the past series's from the start of chris to end of david they stay on an adverage of about 9 or 8 million, this year they shot up to highs like 9 million, to lows like a mere 4-5 million, hearly half! yes its the acting, yes the script, yes the cgi, but can the theme be a contributing factor. i say murray, ur ruining a great show. and if you think about it the themes come in early, if they hate the theme, it may make them turn over and miss the show. Yes bring back russel, but bring back what doctor who is, THE THEME!

7. John says:

it would be better if it went like the derbyshire, but this is just ebarressing.

8. I like the blog, but could not discover methods to subscribe to receive the updates by email. Are you able to please let me know?

9. Sarah Goodies says:

Doctor Who is timeless – a new theme tune doesn't change that. People didn't complain when they introduced new stars or modernised the plot.

I like the new one, I liked the old one and I'll like the next one too

10. toxic says:

i don't like the little " amy ponds pet dr" intro it makes it seem as if the audience is too stupid to remember all the characters every week … and that "like amy is super duper bestest companion evers"…. plz bitch are you five? compaions are replaceable end of story. bring back the dum de dum Epic orcestral version.