David's Health Tips – Time not spent every day to be healthy will be time spent doing ill!!
As the saying goes, 'you are what you eat', but there is one more thing that is being missed here that is just as critical. That it is how you cook it that is just as important!
Just to give you a better understanding, when you cook foods in high temperatures where the oil or butter smokes, this is an indicator that you have a toxic process occurring. The results of this toxic processes are particles known as Advanced Glycation Ends (GLE). These oxidise within inflamed parts of the body associated with diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, Alzheimer's disease and many others.
Some tips on how to cook your food:
- Marinade meat in vinegar or lemon juice before cooking. This reduces the amount of AGEs produced from the meat.
- Cook no further than medium rare (sorry all you burnt offering BBQ specialists).
- Water inhibits the formation of AGEs so poaching, stewing, steaming or even boiling proteins is best.
- Learn to saute as this reduces time of direct heat on meat.
Dairy and other foods:
- Avoid bringing dairy products to high temperatures – for instance, when using milk in sauces or when melting cheese under a broiler. the less time these foods cook the better. Lower temperatures are preferable, as is increased distance from the eat source.
- Plant based proteins also create dangerous levels of AGEs when subject to very high heat for lengthy periods. So be aware that there are dangers to even seemingly healthy foods like broiled tofu or roasted nuts.
OMEGA 3 – Officially the healthiest molecule in the world!
When it comes to Omega 6 and Omega 3 oils there need to be a balance. In today's diet the ratio is in favour of Omega 6 by a ratio of between 10 and 50 to one Omega 3 fatty acid. Obesity, depression, hyperactivity and even tendencies to violence can be attributed to increased Omega 6 intake. Omega 6 fatty acids increase inflammation at the cellular level, which might explain the rise in hypertension, heart disease, some types of cancers, asthma and cognitive degenerative diseases. However, since the chief source of Omega 3 fatty acids is cold water fish, the average person would need to consume about four pounds in weight of fresh fish a day to receive the same health benefits that two grammes of a superior Omega 3 fish oil supplement can supply.
The best bet to reduce your Omega 6 fatty acid intake is to avoid processed foods in favour of freshly prepared meals. Increase your fish intake and start taking superior Omega 3 fish oil supplements to help balance your body's need for essential fatty acids.
So, what I'm saying is go and supplement on an expensive high quality Omega 3 pill. The cheaper ones are absolute rubbish.