Discount broker Willis Owen has today responded to the latest fund management statistics from the Investment Management Association (IMA).
The statistics show that net retail sales were £1.6 billion for November 2013, down from £1.9 billion in October, though cumulative sales by November 2013 totalled £18.1 billion, compared with £13.0 billion in the same period in 2012.
In addition, equity continued as the best-selling asset class for the eighth successive month, with net retail sales of £935 million.
Commenting on the figures, Jason Chapman, Managing Director at Willis Owen, said:
“Retail investors continue to show strong market confidence by pouring into equities. In particular, sales of UK equities did well heading into winter, showing that people are now starting to back the UK’s recovery over global prospects. This is also a trend we’ve seen at Willis Owen.
“Though December’s figures aren’t released till later this month, it seems cumulative sales in 2013 will comfortably beat those for 2012. We also saw a growth in sales at Willis Owen in 2013. ISA sales in December were up 58% and new client numbers up by 20% on December 2012.
“The rally in equities isn’t done yet, but it will be interesting to see what tapering by the US Federal Reserve will do to stock market values as we head into the new year and ISA season 2014. At the moment it seems the market reaction has been moderate, with the FTSE 100 up since Bernanke’s announcement.”
Willis Owen’s top five sectors for November 2013
♦ UK Equity Income
♦ UK Smaller Companies
♦ UK All Companies
♦ Flexible Investment
♦ £ High Yield
Willis Owen’s top five funds for November 2013
♦ Cazenove UK Smaller Companies B Fund
♦ Artemis Strategic Assets R Fund
♦ Artemis Income Fund
♦ Fidelity Moneybuilder Income A Fund
♦ Invesco Perpetual Income Fund
Key facts about Willis Owen services:
· Access to over 1500 funds from all the major investment houses
· Ability to invest within an ISA wrapper, a Unit Trust or an Open Ended Investment Company
· Standard Initial charges generally between 0 and 0.5% – more than half of the funds have 0% initial charge
· Free ISA transfer service
· Free investment check-up service
· Access to an ISA Cash Reserve fund to park your money before you invest
· Annual ISA guide
· Investor Support Desk where you can speak to a real person not a computer, for friendly, helpful guidance 24 hours a day, seven days a week
For more information visit www.willisowen.com.